The top five Minnesota grantmakers by grants paid in 2013 were:
- Target Foundation and Corporation ($148.6 million);
- General Mills Foundation and Corporation ($105.7 million);
- The McKnight Foundation ($86.4 million);
- The Saint Paul Foundation and Minnesota Community Foundation ($65.6 million); and
- Cargill and The Cargill Foundation ($59.6 million).
This is the third consecutive year that these five organizations are Minnesota’s top grantmakers.
Of the 50 top grantmakers by grants paid in 2013, 47 also appeared on the 2012 list. Cash giving by the top 50 grantmakers totaled more than $1.2 billion.
Grant Dollars Distributed Beyond Minnesota
Almost 60 percent of the cash giving by the top 50 grantmakers was designated to organizations based outside of Minnesota.
Corporations Give More than Cash
In order to ensure that grantmakers are compared consistently, in-kind and other noncash contributions are not included in the rankings, but MCF invites large corporate grantmakers to self-report information about noncash contributions.
MCF’s 2013 annual rankings are based on the amount of cash grants paid by funders during fiscal years ending June 1, 2013, through May 31, 2014.
The annual rankings lists include:
- Top 50 Minnesota Grantmakers by Grants Paid;
- Top 50 Minnesota Grantmakers by Assets;
- Top 25 Minnesota Corporate Grantmakers;
- Top 25 Minnesota Private Foundations; and
- Top 25 Minnesota Community/Public Foundations and Public Charity Grantmakers; and
- an alphabetical list of Noncash Charitable Contributions by Minnesota Corporate Grantmakers.
The complete Minnesota Annual Grantmaker Rankings and the methodology used to complete them can be found at www.mcf.org/research/rankings.
More Charitable Giving Research Online
Late last year, MCF released its Giving in Minnesota, 2014 Edition research, which is a comprehensive analysis of annual giving trends by Minnesota foundations and corporations between June 1, 2012, and May 31, 2013. See www.mcf.org/research/giving for information about grantmaking to specific subject areas, geographies, beneficiaries and more.
- Susan Stehling, communications associate