Time is very short to pass the America Gives More Act (HR 4719)!
We need you to contact Senators Klobuchar and Franken to ask for their support today — before they return to Washington, D.C., in early September.
The legislation (passed by the U.S. House of Representatives in July) promotes giving to all nonprofits by:
- permanently extending tax incentives for donations of IRA rollovers, food and land,
- allowing individuals to get credit for prior-year taxes for charitable contributions up to April 15,
- and streamlining the foundation excise tax, which reduces the administrative work associated with running a private foundation and enables greater giving.
We Need You To:
- Contact Senators Klobuchar and Franken before they return to Washington, D.C.
- Tell them you support the America Gives More Act.
- Focus on one part of the Act – the IRA rollover (for community foundations) or the simplified excise tax (for private foundations).
- Tell a story to illustrate how this will have a positive impact in the community by increasing giving.
- Ask them to urge Sen. Majority Leader Reid to schedule a vote on the bill as soon as the Senate reconvenes in Sept.
- Invite them to follow-up with MCF if they have questions.
Contact the Senators at their primary district office. If writing, copy the district director and tax policy staff person, and include your contact information. If calling, ask to speak with the district director, but speak to whom you are directed.
- Amy Klobuchar: http://www.klobuchar.senate.gov
- Al Franken: http://www.franken.senate.gov
Do it today!
This is a rare moment in the Congressional process when the opportunity is real and the time for action is clearly defined.
U.S. Senators are in MN now and will return to Washington, D.C. for only a couple of weeks in Sept. before leaving again to campaign for re-election. Senators must pass the America Gives More Act before they leave to take care of personal political interests.
The likelihood of something happening during a lame-duck Congress in December is uncertain. After that we will be starting over with a new Congress.
- Contact Bob Tracy, MCF director of public policy and government relations, with questions: 612.335.3558 or email@example.com
- The Forum of Regional Association of Grantmakers: America Gives More Act Overview
- Nonprofit Times: America Gives More Act Overview
- National Council on Foundations: Call for Action
- National Council on Foundations: Sample / Open Letter to U.S. Senators
One More Thing:
Contact Representative Erik Paulsen (MN-3) to thank him for his leadership in advancing legislation to simplify the excise tax and for working to enact this legislation for the past several years.